Your APGA membership allows you to advertise your system's job openings. Your listing can also be placed in APGA's bi-weekly Public Gas News publication which goes out in printed and electronic copies to our members. The APGA member price for posting a job advertisement in Public Gas News is $100.00 for 100 words or less and 25 cents for each additional word. APGA does not allow non-members to post job advertisements in APGA publications effective March 2015. To view print rates & policies please click here. To post a job, please contact APGA Communications Manager John Powers at email@example.com or 202 464 2742.
Note to Employers: When submitting a job ad, applicant is required to give their contact information including name, company, phone, fax and e-mail address and agrees to have their information stored in our database. All job listings must comply with federal guidelines and standards and all companies must be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Listings will be removed within 30 days after application deadline.
Manager of Natural Gas Operations - Elizabeth, IL
Manages the operations, maintenance and engineering of the Cooperative’s natural gas department. Provides efficient design, installation and maintenance practices for the cooperative and its member owners. Plays an instrumental role in member and employee satisfaction. Supports a positive working relationship between departments, members and communities served by the Cooperatives natural gas system.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
Manages the Cooperative’s natural gas system.
Acts as a member of the Operations Staff.
- Selects, supervises, evaluates, trains and disciplines employees assigned to the gas department.
- Administers employee development and compensation programs consistent with applicable policies, procedures and practices to assure the retention of highly competent, motivated and efficient workforce.
- Monitors progress and costs incurred in carrying out departmental work plans and budgets.
- Ensures proper inventory and resources are available for efficient repair, construction and maintenance of the Cooperative’s gas system.
- Provides long and short term forecasting of projects for budgetary purposes.
- Assists in the development and implementation system integrity programs.
- Handles escalated member complaints, service questions and general inquires.
- Manages, coordinates and assists with the selection of consultants and contractors required to accomplish relevant strategic goals, compliance and member demands
Supervises the natural gas system operations, construction and maintenance.
- Communicates and interprets the Cooperative’s Mission Statement, strategic goals and policies within the department to establish direction and to obtain understanding and commitment by the employees of the department.
- Supports member and employee satisfaction initiatives by demonstrating and excellent member service skills.
- Develops recommendations regarding departmental organizational structure and staffing to accomplish approved program goals.
- Prepares reports regularly to the Director of Operations to assure compliance with program goals and budget levels and to serve as the basis for planning.
- Attends, communicates and participates in regular departmental and cooperative staff and employee meetings to discuss, propose and report on department activities, progress and process improvement initiatives.
- Represents the Director of Operations as assigned to insure adequate representation of the cooperative’s interests.
Assures conformity with all legal and compliance requirements.
- Provides communication and staking functions for new services and construction work plans.
- Coordinates all construction work and maintenance with contractors and employees to assure adequate member satisfaction.
- Conducts weekly safety meetings and field checks to ensure adequate understanding and implementation of all safety and operational procedures.
- Provides general 24/7 support for natural gas emergencies
- Ensures that all work is done to JCE engineering specifications or cooperative procedures, policies, and rules.
- Organizes the resources needed by personnel to effectively perform their job functions.
- Directs and coordinates the efforts of all crews in emergencies including dispatching and outage analysis.
- Reviews and approves timesheets, purchase orders and contractor fees.
- Ensures that all gas construction, operations, inspections, and maintenance activities are in compliance with all federal and state laws, codes, specifications and industry standards.
- Develops, updates, reviews and implements policies and procedures to ensure compliance with all state, local and federal requirements.
- Ensures that the Cooperative’s Gas Operator Qualification Program is in compliance with the state and federal requirements.
- Ensures the latest proven process and materials are used to keep in the fore front of technology.
- Files appropriate required state and federal documentation and facilitate related onsite audits.
Performs other duties as assigned.
For a full job description, and to apply online, please visit https://www.jocarroll.com/content/employment
Natural Gas Technician - Elizabeth, IL
Install, remove, maintain, troubleshoot and repair natural gas plastic and metal mains, services, natural gas and electric metering and associated equipment to insure safe, accurate and reliable delivery of service to members.
Work as a liaison between various Cooperative departments to promote good public relations, high service standards, and member satisfaction.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform all duties so as to insure personal safety as well as the safety of other employees and the public.
- Fabricate, install, and maintain various gas system facilities such as distribution regulator stations, large volume meter sets, odorizer equipment, gas meter assemblies, etc.
- Install, remove, replace and repair natural gas mains services, pressure regulators meters, valves, and other related gas distribution facilities, including the installation of plastic mains and services using fusion and mechanical fittings.
- Tap and stop both plastic and steel mains and services.
- Properly wrap metal mains and services.
- Cut, thread and assemble screwed joint pipe and fittings.
- Install mechanical joints and repair sleeves, repair clamps, or pipe (on gas mains and services).
- Sets-up. operates and taps live main lines, and install branch and service connections using high pressure tapping equipment.
- Operate power tools and excavating and ditching equipment as required.
- Install, maintain, and replace various types of metering and regulating equipment
- Perform various leak detections and cathodic protection surveys using gas detection equipment.
- Respond to blowing gas situations in a safe and timely manner.
- Respond to and perform leak calls such as inside and outside gas odors and carbon monoxide complaints in a safe and prompt manner.
- Install, test for, and maintain cathodic protection devices on gas mains and services, have knowledge of all cathodic protection devices such as test stations, insulators, and anodes, have a general knowledge of krik cells and rectifiers.
- Inspect contract gas construction as required according to all local, State and Federal codes.
- Patrol and inspect gas distribution lines and equipment.
- Locate underground facilities using pipe/cable-locating equipment when needed.
- Perform incidental duties such as changing of pressure charts, checking of odorizers, other duties that are similar, related or incidental to this position.
- Perform such clerical work as may be needed to provide and maintain the necessary reports and records required by the Coop.
- All other gas maintenance or construction duties as assigned which includes hands-on and computer work as necessary.
- Basic knowledge of appliance and relighting of appliances.
- Install, remove and inspect gas meters and related piping.
- Convert appliances to natural gas operation.
- Troubleshoot and make minor repairs on gas appliances at customer premises.
- Collect delinquent accounts; disconnect and reconnect service to customers as required.
- Maintain neat and orderly investigation orders, vehicle inspection reports, time sheets, and other required paperwork.
- Investigate high bill complaints.
- Keep daily records as to time spent and parts used on various jobs as required for account records; assist in ordering and storing of necessary repair parts.
- Investigate suspected meter tampering and diversion calls.
- Perform gas odorant tests.
- Communicate with the public and members in a professional and courteous manner.
- Must report to work fit for duty and free from the effects of drug & alcohol abuse.
- Incidental to the responsibilities listed, operate a Coop owned vehicle/equipment, operate various air, hydraulic, and electric power tools, and provide for the maintenance of all equipment assigned to him/her.
- Understands and applies all safety rules especially those in Jo-Carroll’s Employee Safety Manual.
- Performs other duties pertaining to the cooperative within the limits of individual qualifications so assigned by management.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Must have completed an approved operator qualification program.
- Must have or be capable of receiving and maintaining an Illinois Commercial Driver’s License.
- Must have knowledge of a variety of computer software applications and have the ability to learn new programs.
- Must have knowledge of electrical and natural gas theory as well as above average mechanical aptitude.
- Must be able to comprehend and follow safety rules.
- Work with pressurized natural gas mains in accordance with all state, federal, and local rules and regulations.
- Ability to occasionally work in extreme weather conditions.
- Work requires continual attention to detail in composing, and proofing of material, establishing priorities and meeting deadlines.
- Excellent Oral and Written communication skills, self-motivated, self-starter, personable and professional.
- Must possess the ability to work well with employees, members, and the general public.
- Obtain an 80% passing grade on operator qualifications tests.
- Ability to work in confined spaces, heat, fumes, dust, noise and blowing gas.
- Must be able to work on uneven terrain, in fields and along roadways.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis.
- Ability to lift up to 100 lbs. occasionally.
- Requires the ability to hear, use near and far vision, stand, walk, kneel, bend, crouch, crawl, twist, climb, and manipulate a variety of materials, tools, and controls.
Daily travels to job sites in Jo-Daviess, Carroll, Henry, Rock Island and Whiteside Counties, Illinois. Occasionally must work on weekends and holidays. Occasional overnight travel for training may be required.
Normal working hours for the position are 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency response may be required as needed.
For a full job description, and to apply online, please visit https://www.jocarroll.com/content/employment
Gas Distribution Manager - Rocky Mount, NC
DEFINITION: This position is responsible for directing the operations of the Gas Division.
REPORTS TO: The Operations Manager - Gas assigns work in terms of division goals and objectives.
- Responsible for short and long term natural gas distribution system analysis and planning, and the development and implementation of natural gas distribution system modifications.
- Manages and oversees the construction, operation and maintenance of the natural gas distribution system and the direction of multiple crews and technicians to ensure safe, reliable, and cost-effective operations.
- Ensures that the division operates in compliance with all federal and state regulations including the Department of Transportation's Office of Pipeline Safety and the North Carolina Utility Commission; maintains necessary records and completes associated reports.
- Oversees and provides direction to the Gas Meter Shop operations.
- Provides direction and supervision to subordinates; ensures productivity, adherence to policies, effective performance evaluations, and individual skill development; practices and enforces safety rules and ensures proper use of personal protective equipment.
- Prepares and administers the annual division budget to facilitate the installation, operation, maintenance, and repair of the gas distribution system within authorized fiscal limits; verifies and approves the division payroll; reviews and approves all materials, vendors, and contractors involved with division activities.
- Prepares analysis of and reports for system operations and performances, employee productivity and work activities and other similar functions.
Complies with all EEO laws (FMLA, ADA, Title VII, ADEA)
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field or extensive related experience
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the diverse objectives and functions of the subunits in the division/department in order to direct and coordinate work within the division/department, usually interpreted to require three to five years of related experience.
- Possession of a valid driver's license with an active and consecutive 3-year verifiable driving history. Driving history will be checked. Must be able to be licensed in the state of North Carolina
- Certification as an Engineer in Training or as a Professional Engineer is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Knowledge of the theories, principles, and practices of natural gas utilities operations.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of natural gas emergency response and mitigation.
- Knowledge of purchasing laws governing public contracts and equipment purchases.
- Knowledge of relevant federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and procedures.
- Skill in the interpretation and application of federal, state, and local policies, codes, and laws.
- Skill in the supervision of personnel.
- Skill in analyzing problems and identifying solutions.
- Skill in preparing clear and accurate reports.
- Skill in establishing cooperative and productive working relationships.
- Skill in evaluating and establishing written policies and procedures.
- Skill in setting priorities for competing projects.
- Skill in performing mathematical calculations.
- Skill in operating computers and other standard office equipment.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The Operations Manager - Gas assigns work in terms of division goals and objectives. The work is reviewed through conferences, reports, and observation of division activities.
GUIDELINES: Guidelines include City ordinances, policies and procedures; relevant federal and state laws and regulations; The Department of Transportation's Office of Pipeline Safety regulations; regulations of the North Carolina Utilities Commission; OSHA safety guidelines; the International Fuel Code; American Petroleum Institute Specifications; National Fire Protection Association Standards; and the National Electric Code. These guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY: The work consists of varied management, administrative and supervisory duties. The variety of services to be provided contributes to the complexity of the position.
SCOPE AND EFFECT: The purpose of this position is to direct the work of the Gas Division. Success in this position results in the provision of natural gas utilities for system customers.
PERSONAL CONTACTS: Contacts are typically with other City staff, regulatory agents, representatives of other utilities providers, consultants, contractors, customers, and members of the general public.
PURPOSE OF CONTACTS: Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, resolve problems, provide services, motivate and influence persons, and justify or settle matters.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table or while intermittently sitting, standing, walking, bending, crouching, or stooping. The employee frequently lifts light and occasionally heavy objects and uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is typically performed in an office, but may be performed outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather. The employee may be exposed to natural gas, noise, dust, dirt, grease, and machinery with moving parts requiring the use of protective devices.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: This position has direct supervision over Gas Service Supervisor (1), and Gas System Engineer (1).
To learn more and to apply online, please visit this site.
The City of Rocky Mount is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Did You Know?
The APGA job bank is one of our most-visited pages, reaching over 700 gas professionals per month. Posting a job here guarantees a lot of high quality views. Posting jobs here is free for APGA members, please contact John Powers to post your listing.